- Face Your Fear – the difference between standing on the board and NOT standing on the board is really just fear. I was surprised that once I decided to face my fears, it really wasn’t that hard to stand up. What fear do you have that’s holding you back from achieving something that you really want?
- Don’t Do It Alone; Ask for Help – if you want to ride the waves, you have to be in the right place at the right time (otherwise the wave rolls under you or crashes down on top of you). And, let’s face it, most of us don’t intuitively know how to do everything. It really helped having John tell me how far to paddle out and then yell, “Now…start paddling.” Who can help you achieve your dreams? Go ahead, ask for help!
- Focus on YOU – We have work, we have a home, and we have friends and family that need us. Have you found there’s sometimes little time to focus on YOU? As a mom, I’ve been guilty of that too – I’ve spent much of my daughter’s life focusing on HER, worrying about her, finding solutions to her problems. But, if you really want to take care of other people, you have to take care of yourself first. What needs of yours are you ignoring?
- Forget the Naysayers – When you have surfers on your right and surfers on your left (and most half my age), you really don’t want to make a fool out of yourself. Aaah, forget about them! If you’ve got a big bodacious goal, chances are there are always those that will try to bring you down, tell you what you CAN’T do. It’s time to focus on what YOU want. Go for it!
- Enjoy the Ride – when the wave first catches you, it jerks you forward. I found out, that’s not a good time to stand up – leave that to the real pros. But, if you wait until the wave is smoothly carrying you towards the shore, things are steady, and it’s relatively easy to stand. Before you can achieve your goal, you’re going to have to go through some bumps too, learning stuff, practicing those skills, but eventually, I promise, things will get smoother and you’ll be ready to enjoy the ride!
Surf’s up – go ahead and catch your wave!