“I shouldn’t have eaten that.”
“I should exercise more.”
“I shouldn’t have stayed up so late.”
“I should lose weight.”
These are just some of the “shoulds” I hear from clients – mostly from highly successful individuals. Shoulds are things you think you have to do, must do…but don’t really want to do. Or really don’t want to do it in the way that you think you need to.
Shoulds feel heavy…and zaps your energy.
WANTS give you energy.
Shoulds versus Wants
- Based on things you think you ought to want
- Based on shame, duty or guilt
- Externally prompted (your ego, spouse, boss, parent, society)
- Based on things you think are important to you and fulfilling
- Based on who you are and are full of life
- Internally prompted (your values)
Forget the shoulds, what do you WANT? What are you willing to do?