Great article in Psychology Today discusses how to joyfully embrace food & make conscious, healthy choices. These tips to help you better manage your weight include:
- Begin to notice in what ways your eating is automatic and “mindless.” While watching TV? Eating at your computer? Chances are you’re not even tasting it! What a shame…stop and enjoy your food…then get back to work.
- Slow down and focus on your thoughts, feelings, and physical sensations. Do you eat when you’re stressed? tired? anxious? Think about it, then find a solution to the real issue. Food isn’t going to help.
- Develop positive rituals around food and eating. There’s no need to feel guilty or shamed about eating – no matter what your weight! Treat yourself to great food and enjoy every bite…there’s a good chance you’ll eat less if eating isn’t so secretive.
- Choose a way of eating you can live with forever. Instead of searching for another diet, start where you’re at and then make every eating occasion just a bit healthier. BTW that’s what Dr. Jo’s No Big Deal Diet is all about – how to design your own rules for a healthy life…not following someone else’s.
- Encourage and nurture yourself. First, love yourself as you are. Then make a plan for a more healthful future – and give yourself time to get there.